God has given us these wonderful treats to nourish and sustain us.
Did You Know?
- That many "nuts" are not "true nuts"
- In botany a nut is a simple dry fruit with one seed in which the ovary wall becomes hard (nut) when mature causing the seed to remain attached or fused to the ovary wall
- The cashew is a seed
- The almond is not a "true nut" it is the edible seeds of a drupe fruit
- Brazil nut is the seed from a capsule
Health Benefits - "Let's get nutty!"
- One study found that people who eat nuts live two to three years longer than those that don't
- Nuts are good sources of Vit E, B2 (riboflavin & antioxidants) are rich in protein, folate, fiber and essential minerals - magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and selenium
- Brazil nuts in particular are rich in selenium which recent research associates with a reduced risk of breast and prostate cancer
- Almonds are a rich source of Vit E - 24mg per 100 g and can help improve complexion and help balance and improve cholesterol
- Cashews are just like a multivitamin pill they contain magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium and iron